Why do people dislike Dolphin?

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 16:30:07 UTC 2008

I need to clarify a couple of things not covered by the
original brief.

1. I'm using Kubuntu 7.10

2. My complaint is mostly about what all my complaints are
about modern life, form over function. do you understand
what that means? or form before function, or form senior to
function. D**phin is one good example.

On Tuesday 04 November 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > 3. It is cluttered and poorly thought out to look at,
> > and merely seems like some other piece of software is
> > being copied in order to 'stay with the gang', Instant
> > impression was its trying to be like some well known m$
> > software.
>
> I need more detail than that. Something specific.

as an example it reminded me of korganiser/kcontact when it
was given a 'side panel' ala ms outlook.

> > 4. Software panels that keep reconfiguring themselves
> > after one has made setting changes is not f****ing
> > friendly but stupid as someone else said. Years ago
> > when I wrote software I would never do that to my
> > users.
>
> Sounds like a bug. Can you please elaborate?

This has already been mentioned, I change the view settings,
move to another location, up or down and they all resume
default settings. I want to see my files not pretty icon
pictures.

> > 5. There is a perfectly good file manager called
> > Konqueror which I have grown to love, if I want to use
> > another filemanager, which I do occasionally, I use
> > Krusader. I would never use D**phin and never will.
>
> And you have that choice! Isn't FOSS great?

don't be facetious.

> > 6. After having D**phin installed as default and the
> > experience of its constant rearranging of *my*
> > settings, it is unlikely I will ever look at this bit
> > of softare again, *EVER*.
>
> Wait until KDE 4.2 at least then.

I am not waiting at all. If it didn't keep coming up on this
list I would have forgotten about it already.

> > 7. Just for good measure, its pig ugly!
>
> Could you be more specific? What would you change to make
> it not pig ugly? What components do not look good to you?

It reminds me of windbloes.

I would change nothing. Having read p.daniels excellent
write up of Krusader, if konq is to disappear then I will
go with that. I had a look at the home page as he suggested
and there are many more features that it is capable of than
I realised. Krusader is a great example of the opposite of
form over function and I will most likely start using it a
lot more than I did, seeing the way the wind seems to be
blowing.

p.s. Not everyone wants the latest and greatest. I want
something that actually will do the work and perform the
functions that I need it to.

that is the best I can do. I haven't looked at D**phin in a
long long time and don't intend to.

nepal.