Konqueror rules, Dolphin must die

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:22:04 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 4:16:06 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
> If 8.04/3.5.10 is working for you why do anything?

Because it will stop being supported in the fall of next year, where as lenny
will be supported for a few more years.

> Support for 8.04 didn't end Saturday. It's still going to be supported
> for a while.

Another year, and mostly just for security.

> Even though KDE 3.5.10 is no longer in development it's not
> likely to just die any minute. If my computer was necessary for my work
> I wouldn't be in any hurry to change anything just because a number
> changes every six months.

Your reasoning is exactly mine, but it is the nature of non-LTS *buntu to have
short support cycles.  So I am opting to keep using the functioning KDE 3,
but on a distro with longer term support for it.

> I'm just an average "Joe Sixpack" type. My computer is a home computer
> used to browse the web, e-mail and do a little genealogy. I still use
> 8.04/3.5.10 for everyday use, and will for some time yet.

I use it for work.  I administer our network with it.  I am proud that I can
perform most administrative tasks for a 20 server windows network without
running a copy of windows on my desk.

> I do have
> 8.10/4.x installed on another hard drive for my own testing.. I keep it
> updated regularly. When I feel like it's worth moving over I will, but
> not until.

I am thinking of upgrading 8.04 once I am comfortable with Lenny.  I'll log on
to it periodically, and when KDE 4 is reliable and configurable, I may come
back (or maybe I will like Debian more by then).