Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:19:15 UTC 2008

Herman � wrote:
> On Monday 03 November 2008 21:18:14 you wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:47:27 am Herman Holmstr�m wrote:
>>> Honestly. I've recently started using KDE instead of gnome, and I like
>>> Dolphin a lot more than Nautilus. I just don't understand why people
>>> think it's so bad. .. Why is it that so many hates Dolphin?
>> Because they're stupid? :)
>>
>> I don't get it either, I quite like Dolphin and never thought konqueror was
>> that good a filemanager, its generally its a matter of opinion, not an
>> absolute.
>>
>> With KDE 4.1.2 I now really quite like KDE 4 overall, now its my primary
>> desktop. Finally past the beta stage Very usable I think, now its just
>> refining features.
>>
>> I do find this tendency of people to flame and call the developers "stupid"
>> quite irritating and extremely childish. There are constructive ways to
>> express criticism that adults use, until they grow up they should just
>> STFU.
>
> I totally agree with you. While I'm always glad when people are replying, I
> was actually hoping the haters of Dolphin would post some of their reasons for
> not liking it.

i use intrepid, konqueror is now aweful since they removed a lot of it's
file browsing tools, and are not in dolphin yet :(
try selecting 10 folders in dolphin (KDE4) by means of a mouse box,
dolphin hangs for about 20 seconds before finally selecting them, why
the hell? it can't be low resources, i have 3 GHz CPU and 1.5 GB RAM!
and in general, everytime i click on something in dolphin, the program
hangs for a few seconds. i became very careful to not press anything,
unless i need it, not to press on blanks, it might hang, not to move the
mouse over a directory i'm not interested in, it might hang while
fetching information, not to touch anything in the side panels, it might
crash. this is freaking annoying! i was a mouse clicking happy person in
konqueror! i now set directories to open with konqueror in file
association. ad i rely a lot on the "quick access" plasmoid, i use it to
browse to the directory i want, and click open there. or even better,
use my always running konsole to cd somewhere and type konqueror there.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems