Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:06:28 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 3:36:45 pm Herman Holmström wrote:
> was actually hoping the haters of Dolphin would post some of their reasons
> for not liking it.

Dolphin in KDE 3 was a dumbed down version of a file manager, with far fewer
features than konqueror.  To say that it is better than Nautilus is like
saying one i486 PC is better than another i486 PC.  Neither of them are as
good a a modern dual core processor.  And the latter would be Konqueror.

Putting the file manager with the web browser, ftp client, network browser,
etc., created a whole that was greater than the sum of its parts.

Now in saying that Dolphin was "dumbed down", I am not saying it, or its
developers are "stupid".  If you read the list archives of about a year ago
when it was introduced (foisted upon us?), you will see that the defenders of
it were touting its simplicity over functionality.  The idea was supposed to
be "less intimidating" to new users.

Maybe so.  I am not a new user.  I don't think new users should be treated
condescendingly.  I was a new user once and am glad I discovered the "power"
of great tools instead of being deprived of them for the sake of shielding me
from their complexity.  I never understood "basic" and "advanced" modes.
Even in my pre-Linux days, the first thing I did when I installed new
software was to check the settings or options.  That seemed a good way to
learn the program's features and get it to work the way I wanted it.

Like some others, I got rid of it and made Konqueror default again, so I
haven't seen it in a while.