Gutsy v Hardy

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 17:38:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Neil Winchurst <barnaby at drofle.com> wrote:
>> I have finally installed Hardy as a dual boot with Gutsy. Yes, I know
>> that Intrepid is now available but it is still too new for me.
>>
>> So far I have not found a lot of differences yet. Anyone like to point
>> out advantages/disadvantage please, and any comments would be interesting.
>
> 8.04 can print with my old printer but gutsy could not, the one before
> that could. I have no idea why. It is a parallel port plugged into a
> USB and that might be part of the problem. In any case it works now.

My experience is the opposite.  My printer worked find in Gutsy, but
doesn't work in Hardy.  I have 3 systems and that is the case with all
of them.

The other big difference is that Hardy the long term support release
(for Ubuntu.  Kubuntu specific packages are not LTS), so if you stay
on Hardy you'll get security updates for a long time.

Michael