8.04 -> 8.10 VM update

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Sat Nov 1 04:43:53 UTC 2008

    Just upgraded one of my VM installs from 8.04 to 8.10.  I took an
unorthodox method.  I had installed 8.10 beta a few weeks ago for
testing inside VirtualBox and have been updating it ever since.  Didn't
actually use it, just poked at it to see if it would work.  Tonight I
ran an upgrade to get everything to 8.10 release vesions.  I mounted by
WinXP's C drive in the same manner as my 8.04 box.  On the 8.04 box I
copied my home dir over to the C: drive of the real machine.  Chopped
out obvious things I didn't want to keep (.kde, .kde4 the prime
suspects) then copes that into the home directory of my 8.10 box.

    So far the only problem I've encountered was my .ssh directory
having incorrect permissions and my X credentials didn't match so I had
to restart X.  I should've archived the directory before transferring so
as to retain permission bits.

    So far it's running fine.  Needed to get Firefox loaded up but
that's about it.  Also need to get Lancelot back on; the default K menu
is driving me batty.  :(