Problems with KDE4 under Kubuntu Hardy

Rosalind Mitchell rcm at swimbarrow.co.uk
Fri May 30 22:16:05 UTC 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008 22:15:58 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Splash screen, or Login screen?  It sounds to me as if you're getting to
> the KDM login screen, entering your username/password, the screen probably
> flashes a few times and then puts up the login screen again.

Yes, Login screen.  Sorry - [senior|blonde|pmt] moment.

> >> kdeinit4: PID 7199 terminated.
> >> Hangup
> >> GOT SIGHUP
> >> Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer:
> >> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-lYPyTxiGsa: Connection refused
>
> I'm not sure how signifant this is - the Dbus error seems to be _after_ kde
> has already quit, but I'd want to look at that first, anyway.  It stands to
> reason that you'd have trouble if dbus isn't working.  Check the
> permissions on that socket first.  Is /usr/bin/dbus-daemon running?  Check
> syslog for other dbus errors.

enitharmon at scafell:~$ ps -aef | grep dbus
106       5340     1  0 12:59 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
dhcp      6342  5989  0 12:59 ?
00:00:00 /sbin/dhclient -1 -lf /var/lib/d
hcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid -q -e dhc_dbus=31 -d
et                    h0
1000     21637     1  0 22:10 ?
00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --pr                    int-pid
5 --print-address 7 --session
enitharmon at scafell:~$

Others *have* reported similar things: successful solutions for others have
included

* deleting the $HOME/.kde4 directory (didn't work for me)
* deleting /etc/kde4rc (didn't work for me)
* adding various system variable definitions to startkde (none of which worked
for me)

None of these would really explain why the live CD won't start, except perhaps
if there's something odd about my hardware, but although my box is a custom
build I don't think there's anything unusual about it.

I have also installed KDE 4.04 from the backports.  Needless to say, this
didn't work for me either!

At this rate, when Impudent Ibex (or whatever it's called) comes out, I shall
have to resort to the wretched GNOME.  Aaaaargh!

Rosie

--
Currently reading: The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Enitharmon's Cave: http://enitharmon.wordpress.com