Restart of router

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Tue May 27 13:26:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Neil Winchurst <neil at holsdev.vispa.com>
wrote:

> Normally I leave the router on all the time. Occasionally I need to
> reset it by turning it off and on again. If I do this with the
> computer running I can't access the internet. I look in settings and
> it all appears to be working. Eth0 is marked as enabled. I have to
> switch the computer off and then reboot. Now everything is OK.

You are correct that this should not be happening.  It doesn't happen to me
with my Gutsy install.

Here is what should be happening, for your information, and where it could
be going wrong:

Your router is almost certainly set up to give out IP addresses to your
computers (via DHCP).  When you turn it off and turn it on again, the
connection is broken and things have to get reconnected.

I am pretty sure with my router, even when I turn it off and on again, the
IP addresses (a lease given by the router with a time period associated with
it) stay the same for my computers.

You may want to check the DLink and see if there is an option there that got
changed.

Correspondingly, your computer should be set up to notice when the network
connection is lost and communicate to the router as a DHCP device and renew
it's IP address.  Your computer could be set up somehow to not be doing this
automatically.

Finally, you don't need to turn off your computer.  Simply go into settings
and disable eth0, then enable it again.  That should force it to go to the
router and get a new IP address.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own