Strange but true 8.04 updates today May 26

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue May 27 01:26:51 UTC 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008 04:23:26 pm chuck adams wrote:
> Thought this might be of interest and maybe some one has
> an answer or two.
>
> This system that I use daily started with a clean install of
> 8.04 beta and upgraded as time has passed.  Works just
> great and today a new kernel and a new nvidia-glx-new
> and all went together just fine.
>
> So, having another AMD Athlon 64x2 with a nvidia board
> that wasn't working with anything since a beta in mid-April,
> I decided it was time to try again.
>
> If I take the 8.04 DVD release and install it cleanly.  Then
> wait until I get the little green video board icon in the lower>
> Film at 11.
>
> Chuck
> task bar.  Then install the nvidia-glx-new and enable and
> reboot the screen comes up with the desired 1280x1024
> resolution that I have wanted for a long time.  So far so good.
>
> Then I bring up the adept manager using the little bear hugging
> the red triangle, type in the secret password, and start the updates.
> After they are all downloaded and the install starts I get the hated
> "dependency broken can't continue" message.  Can't tell which
> package is broken.
>
> So I quit and then do:
>
> sudo apt-get clean
> sudo apt-get update
>
> and then try one package at a time that was listed in
> the GUI.   Now get messages about corrupted tar files.
>
> So.  Things seem to be broken for a new install and then
> upgrade.
>
> Any help appreciated in tracking down the problem.
> Don't know which package to blame and file a bug report.

I don't know what is to blame but my update install this morning made the
wireless non functional, the sound dead and the Firefox 3 browser only come
on in offline mode.  I went back to the previous kernel in the boot up menu
and wireless comes up correctly, sound is now re-enabled and Firefox STILL
will only start in offline mode.  Both Audio and Graphics cards are Intel
intergrated on the Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org