How do you set up the mouse config so that it is stable? WAS How do you make the logitech mouse work right?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 23 15:13:53 UTC 2008

On Friday 23 May 2008, Knapp wrote:
>On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
>
>wrote:
>> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>>
>> Well there aren't any times in this thread - please don't break the
>> threads.
>
>Is that a joke? I started this thread. Also that is a typo, it should be
>lines.

Of course it is, but please don't let the limp from the now longer leg bother
you too much.

[...]

>> Jonas solution is simple and best, but to answer the question of why
>> device names may change with reboot, it's in the nature of the kernel
>> since the advent of 2.6 that device names aren't fixed - and particularly
>> with USB devices.  In _most_ cases, if you always boot with the same USB
>> devices attached, and in the same ports, they'll have the same names, but
>> it's never guaranteed.  otoh, if you are plugging the mouse into random
>> ports, it's practically guaranteed that the device will have different
>> names. udev handles device naming and ensures that fixed names
>> (like /dev/input/by-id/*) get generated for everything.

This bears repeating. Generally, if you aren't unplugging something and
replugging it in on a different port for the next boot, the names will be
consistent.  Generally.  Identifiable devices that you only have one of,
printers, scanners and such, are pretty predictable though.  I have two
printers, and so far they have stayed consistent.  That knocking sound?  Me,
knocking on wood. (Or my head)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)