How do you set up the mouse config so that it is stable? WAS How do you make the logitech mouse work right?

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Fri May 23 07:52:20 BST 2008

2008/5/23 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
> Problems are the 2 times in red. The numbers keep changing with reboot. I
> have to do alt-ctrl-f1 and start vim and then use "xev | grep -i button" to
> find out what they have become and change them. Then restart X. It is a pain
> to say the least!
> Thanks to anyone that can help with this!!
>

> xorg.cong:
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier "Logitech RX1000"
>     Driver "evdev"
>     Option "Protocol" "evdev"
>     Option "Dev Name" "Logitech USB Optical Mouse"
>
>     Option "Dev Phys" "usb-*/input0" # These may change with reboot and
> testing!!  I don't know why this is. You find them with the command.cat
> /proc/bus/input/devices
>     Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2" # These may change with reboot and
> testing!!  I don't know why this is.
>
>     Option "Buttons" "8"
>     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>     Option "Resolution" "1000"
>     Option "CorePointer"
> EndSection

First its Option "Name" and Option "Phys" not Option "Dev Phys" and
Option Dev Name". I would try to use the Option "Device" to specify my
mouse and use the right device under /dev/input/by-id/ as that will
always point to the right device no mather if you add or remove other
input devices.

My InputDevice looks like this:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "MSWirelessLaserMouse5000"
        Driver          "evdev"
#       Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Device"
"/dev/input/by-id/usb-Microsoft_Microsoft_Wireless_Optical_Mouse_1.00-event-mouse"
#       Option          "CorePointer"
#       Option          "SendCoreEvents"
#       Option          "Name"                  "Microsoft Microsoft
Wireless Optical Mouse(R) 1.00"
#       Option          "Phys"                  "usb-0000:00:02.0-1/input0"
#       Option          "vendor"                "1118"
#       Option          "version"               "273"
#       Option          "product"               "225"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "False"
        Option          "evBits"                "+1-2"
        Option          "keyBits"               "~272-287"
        Option          "relBits"               "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
        Option          "Pass"                  "2"
EndSection

There is not much info about the evdev driver and how to configure it
but this work for me with my mouse, side buttons work to browse back
and forward in Firefox, up, down, left and right scroll works (they
are reversed but will fix that later with the ButtonMapping option).

/ Jonas