Firefox-2

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Tue May 20 13:38:34 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley said the following on 05/20/2008 05:19 AM:
>> I got firefox-2 in /usr/bin/firefox-2
>
> That did it :-) but it doesn't have all my new bookmarks from firefox-3.0  - never mind I will
> find them later.

I also switched to ff2.  The reason I don't want to use ff3 is that some
bank sites have problems with it, and the backspace keyboard shortcut
doesn't page up like it should.  Two key bugs IMHO.

I don't know why ff2 didn't show up in your menu, because it did in
mine.  Maybe you have to logout / login.

The only way I could find to keep my ff3 bookmarks in ff2 was to open
ff3 and export them to a file.  Then close ff3 and open ff2 and import
the bookmarks file.

However, I think it's easier to keep ff3 installed and just disable it.
  All you have to do is remove /usr/bin/firefox-3.0 and remake the link
/usr/bin/firefox to point at /usr/bin/firefox-2.

I used dpkg-divert to do it:

sudo mkdir -p /diverted/usr/bin
sudo dpkg-divert --rename --divert
/diverted/usr/bin/firefox-3.0-disabled /usr/bin/firefox-3.0
sudo dpkg-divert --rename --divert /diverted/usr/bin/firefox-disabled
/usr/bin/firefox
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firefox-2 /usr/bin/firefox

This means that ff3 will update whenever hardy-updates has an update.
When it reaches the final release, you can undo the diversion and remake
the link to use it. Read "man dpkg-divert" for more.

hth,