Language problem with Firefox 3 beta

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 5 16:44:48 UTC 2008

2008/5/5 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987 at gmail.com>:
> after using arabic on windows once as a locale, and seeing the mess it
> created, i decided to not use locales anymore, at least, not a
> right-to-left language, this issue still needs a lot of work, before
> programs behave correctly with such languages.

I am familiar with the mess Windows makes of RTL languages such as
Arabic, Hebrew, and Farsi. The left arrow moves right (sometimes),
text aligned to the left (sometimes), backward interfaces (sometimes).
While Ubuntu is not 100% perfect in this regard, it is at least much
more consistent and logical. Left arrow _always_ moves left. Right
_always_ moves right. Only in the CLI I have the letters reversed.

Which Arabic locale do you prefer? I can check to see how things
behave and post KDE screenshots if you want.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.