Installing debs from Mepis

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Sun May 4 22:52:09 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Paul Lemmons wrote:

Looks Like you're getting stuck in "dependency hell" as they call it.
You would probably be better off getting the source code and compiling
it.... Don't start chasing down every new dep... you may find it
'spiders' out into needing more and more and more until you get down to
installing a newer libc6 and then your system is basically hosed as
every distro relies on this and removing this will require removing
everything..........

It looks as if the newer version was compiled on a 'newer' system.  But
if you can get the source and install build-essential (sudo apt-get
install build-essential) and read the README file it may be a simple
./configure, ./make, sudo make install to compile it to your system...
YMMV.

Joel.