1. Newbie evaluation. 2. Gutsy>Hardy: request for advice.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri May 2 18:13:05 UTC 2008

Bas Roufs wrote:
> At the website of Mozilla, I they wrote that Firefox 2 could become
> unstable if installed in the same folder as Firefox 3. What is the best
> way to deal with this problem:
> * installing FF2 in another folder? is that possible? How?
> * UNinstalling FF3 first, afterwords INSTALLING FF2 from the universe
> repository?
> * any other option?

Sorry, I can't help you too much with FF install options. What I did was
uninstall FF3 and install FF2. But I don't use any addons, so I can't
tell you if that is all you need to do.

> > In the file /etc/apt/sources.list and in files in the directory
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.d you have the configuration for the
> > repositories used for your system.
>
> I found two of such files. Could a back-up copy of them be useful
> somehow in case I choose for a 'clean install'? Have they a function
> similar to 'kubuntu-files': giving an instruction for settings and
> software to be installed? (See attachment, can be opened with KATE.)

Yes, the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d might be usefull if you want to
install the same packages you have in Gutsy. They are usually for
additional repositories like medibuntu. While there are instructions on
the medibuntu website how to add their repository, you may have no
instructions for other repositories.

Nils