Any LEGO MINDSTORM NXT users here?

Ronnie Tucker ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk
Sat Mar 29 22:26:24 UTC 2008

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> OK, I got around to playing with this, and haven't had any luck at all.  The
> kernel sees it, but nothing happens.  I found some bit about putting
>
> $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-lego.rules
> # Lego NXT
> BUS="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}="0694", MODE="0666"
>
> but that didn't help anything, even after restarting udev.

Ditto I'm afraid to say. I tried that version and also another version
similar idea but the 'BUS="usb"...' line was different. Still no go.

> I thought I'd try my luck with NXC anyway, but in spite of the nice API guide
> and everything, it lacks fundamental instructions, like how to compile a
> program, or how to talk to the brick.  Everything is based around using the
> Bricx GUI thing that only runs on Windows, and apparently does that kind of
> thing for you.

Compiling a program is easy enough. You write the program in a text
editor, save it as a .nxc file then compile it using the command:

nbc filename.nxc -O=filename.rxe

The .rxe file will be in the same directory as the .nxc file.

But how to get the .rxe to the brick... that's the tricky bit!

I even tried tinkering with Bluetooth today to try and get a BT
connection. Nearly got it. PC can see the brick and the brick can see
the PC but I'll be damned if I could pair them up and get a connection
(even using the default passcode of 1234). Something about having to set
up a virtual serial connection or some such nonsense   :/

I've left a post in an NXT forum that I know the author of the book 'NXT
Power Programming' (which I bought) frequents, so hopefully he can shed
some light on it, but you're right, even the book (mentioned above,
written by the guy who upkeeps NXC) talks about the GUI more than the
commands...

> After poking around with this off and on all day, I have concluded it that
> this is for people with many orders of magnitude more patience and
> determination than I can muster.
>
> I pronounce it a hopeless lost cause.

I'm about to join you on that soon...  :D

--
Ronnie Tucker

ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk
www.RonnieTucker.co.uk