e-sata question

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 10:56:52 UTC 2008

Hello Don

> ..... Not a peep in dmesg, nor /var/log/messages and certainly no icon on the desktop.......

As a practical, but modest thank you for all your help in the past few
months, I can give you only a reminder that probably covers 1% :-) of
your problem. After plugging in your external drive into the USB port,
is it being shown in the list of 'storage media' via e.g. Dolphin or
Konqueror file management? Do you manage to move or copy files via that
way?

One comparative experiment may be helpful for you. When I plug in a USB
memory stick BEFORE starting the PC, it does not show up immediately on
the desktop. But when checking the storage media, I do see the stick and
I click on it. After doing so, I immediately manage to copy or move
files from or to the stick. Beside from this, the memory stick also
immediately pops up on the desktop.

Good luck!

Bas.

--