kmail

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 13:34:44 UTC 2008

2008/3/15, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>
>  > 2008/3/13, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
>  >> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  > 2008/3/13, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
>  >>  >> Tom R wrote:
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  > Jamie,
>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  > The discussion didn't seem to cover how to add an item
>  >>  >>  > to the KDE Menu though it would seem that it was the
>  >>  >>  > obvious answer to your problem.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> It 's NOT the obvious answer to his problem, though.  KMail isn't
>  >>  >> _supposed_
>  >>  >>  to have a menu entry, but in any case, if he can't run it from the
>  >>  >>  console, he can't run it from a menu.
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >> > Kmail has always had an menu entry in all distros i have tried and
>  >>  > looking at the source
>  >>  > there is a KMail.desktop there so it's probably _supposed_ to have a
>  >>  > menu.
>  >>
>  >> No.  Having a .desktop file doesn't mean it should have a menu.  In fact,
>  >>  this one is _specifically_ to prevent it having a menu:
>  >>
>  >>  $ tail -n3 /usr/share/applications/kde/KMail.desktop
>  >>  X-DCOP-ServiceName=kmail
>  >>  Categories=Qt;KDE;Network;Office;Email;
>  >>  NoDisplay=true
>  >
>  > You missread my mail. That file you showing is not in the original
>  > source tarball.
>

> No, I didn't misread your mail at all.  Whether or not the kubuntu menu file
>  is in the original tarball, the mere fact that a .desktop file exists
>  _doesn't_ mean it's supposed to be in a menu.

What i meant all the time is that the developer of KMail have a menu entry
for KMail and want it to have a menu entry but kubuntu removes it.

Personally i got confused by the lack of a menu for the biggest program in the
pim-package, it has always been there so i think it's wrong to remove it.
And apparently there are more then me that
A .desktop file don't have to be a menu i don't argue with you there.

>  And apparently you weren't interested in my explanation.  It's a bad idea to
>  have a menu entry for a program that will commonly not appear when you
>  launch it.
> --
>  derek

I read it and understand your point i just don't agree.
Can't check now but aren't there an icon for KMail when you start it, showing
how many mail you have in your inbox whether you running Kontact or not?

/Jonas