No Icon on Desktop for always-on usbdisk

Steve McMaster ubuntu at citadel8.net
Fri Mar 14 21:21:17 UTC 2008

I believe that unless you mount your USB disk via the KDE interface, as
opposed to mounting in on the command line or putting it in /etc/fstab,
the icon will not appear on your desktop.

For example, if I have a 300GB USB drive that is always connected, and
has an entry in /etc/fstab, the icon won't appear. However, when I plug
in my 4GB USB drive, I tell KDE to open it and I get the icon on the
desktop.

However, this is all just a guess, and I'm not 100% sure it works this
way. The best way to verify would be to unplug the USB drive (after
unmounting, of course), reconnect it, and tell KDE to open it. If the
icon appears on the desktop, then this is the answer. :)

If this isn't the answer, then I too am curious what the determining
factor is.