Skim?

Francisco Borges francisco.borges at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 13:59:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Jared Greenwald
<greenwaldjared at gmail.com> wrote:
>  If there is one thing that gets under my skin more than anything its
>  forcing people to install software they just don't need and never
>  will.  I don't speak or write any other languages other than US
>  English, so why should I be forced to install software that assists in
>  writing complex languages.  The fact that kubuntu-desktop and
>  kubuntu-kde4-desktop both depend on the skim package and the other
>  *-desktop packages depend on scim is a bug in and of itself.

I would guess that putting this as a dependency is to be able to
assure a better integration of it in general.
The point I guess is to add a feature to the system that says that one
can always have unicode input whenever you have a *-desktop installed.

Other than that, micro managing dependencies can be time consuming and
problematic.

>  Why aren't the deps in the language paks so that only people that use
>  those languages become forced to install them?  That would make way
>  more sense than forcing everyone under the sun to install something
>  they will never use.

As to adding a dependency with the language packs, that would not
work. Your assumption that a user will want to install the language
pack for all languages he is going to type into is wrong.

I write emails/chat/text/etc in 3 different languages, but I only have
1 language pack installed, as I really don't want to have full LOCALE,
man pages, html documentation, and what not for all these languages. I
only want to type, and  check spelling in these languages.

[...]

But I do reckon that that was a rather annoying bug, mostly because
they can't turn it off, there is a "Quit' button that simply will not
allow you to quit it, and no config option in "System settings" to
turn off either.

Cheers,
--
Francisco