wireless connection to linksys from Inspiron laptop

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:14:20 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I just got my Linksys WRT54GL delivered today and set it up to connect to a pppoe connection.
> The wired connection works as advertised (beware, if your pc/laptop is already configured
> with a static ip address, then you won't be able to connect using http://192.168.1.1 - I
> had to stick the Hardy live CD in and then it connected!!??).
>
> Anyway, I now want to be able to set up my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop to connect to the
> router. I installed wicd and removed KNetworkManager and KWlan, but wicd says that there
> are no wireless connections available.
>
> I really am completely new to wireless and don't really know where to start.
>
> Do I have to do anything special to the router first?
> And how do I get a 'tray icon' for wicd to appear?

Well I would start with the classic: is the wireless switch on the
laptop set to "on"? You would be very far from the first one to find
that it is/was not.

Then if you bought this from Dell you should have some order confirm
that tells you exactly what wireless device you have. As I can find out
it can be delivered with either Intel 3945 or Dell Wireless units. If
you got Dell I would go to ubuntuforums.org and the Dell forum there and
try searching around.

For the Intel you need a restricted driver in Gutsy. This you should
find installed by default but perhaps not enabled. Look in System
Settings, Advanced tab and Restricted drivers. If it is not there use
Adept or Synaptic and search for Intel, you should find it.

Note that the Intel driver is buggy... the ipw3945 will come on and off
by itself. You are better of using the iwl3945 driver, look for how-to
on ubuntuforums.org or wicd user forums.

Finally re the tray icon: read the FAQ on WICD site.

Sinclair