Printing to a Windows 2000 server shared printer

Tom R tomrood1 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 13:21:56 UTC 2008

> Sinclair wrote:
> using ip-address as well as servername, no luck. It
> comes up in Smb4K (the share that is) but I can not
> print from that either...

Sinclair,

The 2.6.22 kernel has a problem in the module cifs
(version 1.49) which prevents mounting more than 1
cifs share at a time.  The problem appears in Ubuntu
7.10, openSUSE 10.3 and other 2.6.22 based distros.
It wasn't there in earlier kernels and distros (e.g.,
openSUSE 10.2, Ubuntu 7.04) and has been fixed in
later kernels (e.g., Kubuntu 8.04 Alphas, openSUSE
11.0 Alphas).  I noticed it with Samba, but it may
have affected Windows 2000 servers.  It showed up when
implementing the smb2 protocol (Windows 2003 servers)
so it may not have affected them.  If this is the
problem, your printer mighr work if you umount any
mounted Windows shares.

Thomas A. Rood