8.04 in Windows

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jun 13 18:45:50 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 13 June 2008, Scott wrote:
>>Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> Rather irrelevant what they _say_, as I've had Dell refuse to honour my
>>> warranty precisely because I had Linux installed.
>
> Circuit City gave me several chorus's of that song and dance when I bought
> my laptop HP from them nearly 3 years ago now.
> They can sing that company song all they want, but they know they haven't
> a leg to stand on once they walk into the courtroom door.

Yes, but unfortunately they know that it's rarely worth our time to actually
_take_ them to court.  In the end, the particular Dell that I spent a year
trying to get them to honour a warranty, I ended up spending $18 for an SMC
wireless card to replace the internal Intel.

>>> Not necessarily true.  At least one Dell I owned had a hardware warranty
>>> that explicitly stated that the only internal component I could touch
>>> was memory.
>>
>>And yet, another good reason why never to pay for a warranty :).
>
> Mine paid for most of itself when the writer failed.
>>
>>Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

Yeah, I really do believe in getting the warranty - but this one (an HP)
came from a store where I can return it in person.  I won't be buying
another Dell where I can only ever talk to somebody in India.
--
derek