Please keep it civil

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Mon Jun 2 11:20:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:11 AM, Richard A. Johnson
<nixternal at kubuntu.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 June 2008, Steve Lamb wrote:
> | Richard A. Johnson wrote:
> | > Even if KDE 4 makes for a justified rant, why on a distribution list when
> | > we aren't the ones creating it or its future?
> |
> |     And you honestly think that Canonical with its resources could not
> | influence that?  Tell me again where the first place users of Canonical's
> | KDE based distribution might express their displeasure?
>
> Launchpad to be honest. If you have a problem with something, it makes more
> sense to file a bug, whether it is a certified bug or just a wishlist based
> item. It has a better chance of being addressed than in this mailing list. A
> majority of us typically look in here to provide support. Sometimes a good idea
> will catch our eyes.

Mailing lists are more generally read than Launchpad wishlists/bugs.
If I'm interested in using a new program, I know I'm much more likely
to ask a mailing list for experiences or recommendations, than to read
some bug filing site.

Look at the rap that Windows Vista has for performance and
compatibility; those opinions are certainly not limited to wishlist
sites, and certainly contributes to the user perception of the
program. The general perception of KDE4 is not positive, not from the
majority of users. I know it influences users to hold off on using the
program (I would be one of those).

Users shouldn't be advised to withhold their opinions/reviews of
software, in favor of just bug reports. Nor will they do so. :-)

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think,
and a cereal for those who are hungry ...