lost and found problem

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Sat Jul 5 09:14:21 UTC 2008

Hi Perikli,

On 04/07/2008, Perikli Thanasi <perikli.thanasi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had installed OpenSuse 11 before i decide to change on Kubuntu, and also i
> had a /home partition for my files...
>  When i installed kubuntu i left every thing the same...

IIRC the numbering for the users is not the same in different
distributions. Ubuntu (and all other Debian-likes) do start the user
numbering at 1000, and I remember my old Madrake (now Mandriva)
started it at 500, so I didn't have permissions to use my old /home.

I worked around it creating a new user, then moved over all my /home
to the new user. Maybe this is your problem, some SuSE user could
probably tell if the numbering is different.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org