Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jul 5 13:50:08 BST 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/7/4 Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>:
>> I don't
>> have a SWAP partition on mine so that cuts down on a lot of writes, and
>> I have 2gb of memory so I
>> don't have to be that concern about writing to SSD.
>
> Without a swap partition, can the device suspend to RAM?

No.  Is it necessary? I've never seen much value for something between Sleep
and Hibernate.  It can't suspend to Disk, either, without a swap partition
but if you need to be able hibernate, you can always create a swap
partition that is _not_ normally used for swap.

I'm still perplexed about Nigel's implication that Linux causes more writes
to disk than other OSes.  It just doesn't seem logical.
--
derek