Speech recognition

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 4 01:58:32 UTC 2008

David Fletcher wrote:

>> I don't know much more than the description, but if you open Adept and
>> search for "speech" it will bring up three possibilities, as well as a
>> lot of other stuff. Speex, sphinx, and transcriber. Don't know if they
>> will do what you want but take a look.
>>

> I've looked at the suggestions, and drawn a complete blank. Unfortunately I
> don't think there is such an application.
>
> If lack of speech input is a "show stopper" for my friend, there will probably
> be no alternative to running the dreaded Vista with dictation software.
> Whether it, whatever it is, works with anything other than Office is also an
> unknown.
>
> Dave

I read another response in this forum and it was suggested that Dragon
Naturally Speaking 9 works good in Wine, the Windows emulator.  I
haven't as yet tried it, but I am going to.  I used to use Naturally
Speaking for all my word processing.  It works super.  The programs that
I use using Wine work the same as they do on Microsoft OS's.

Steven