Speech recognition

David Fletcher kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net
Fri Jul 4 08:18:56 UTC 2008

At 02:58 04/07/2008, you wrote:

>I read another response in this forum and it was suggested that Dragon
>Naturally Speaking 9 works good in Wine, the Windows emulator.  I
>haven't as yet tried it, but I am going to.  I used to use Naturally
>Speaking for all my word processing.  It works super.  The programs that
>I use using Wine work the same as they do on Microsoft OS's.
>
>Steven

I'll certainly be interested in seeing a result on this, but I'll
reiterate that its intended use is for writing a book. I'm told that
book publishers generally don't thank authors for submitting work as
word processor files of any sort, but are very happy indeed to
receive LaTeX files.

Having had a play with LaTeX over the last couple of weeks and found
out how to duplicate my standard letter writing layout with it, I've
found that the best editor so far is kate - it knows the LaTeX syntax
so it can run the spelling checker properly i.e. it makes no attempt
to spell check the formatting instructions.

So, if it's possible to run Dragon under Wine, with the dictated text
going into kate, that could be the way to go.

Dave