How to clean out ~/home

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:53:25 UTC 2008

Dear Paul, Dear Everybody

A safe, but time consuming method may be as follows:
* make a back-up of all your personal files and e-mails at another
computer or at an external HD
* generate a KUBUNTU FILES report containing an overview of all the
software installed at your PC
* back-up this KUBUNTU FILES report also elsewhere
* make a fresh install 'from scratch' at your HD while reformatting/
overwriting the old configuration.
* after installing the basic stuff, use to the KUBUNTU FILES report to
add to it all the software you have been using before.

If you are interested, I can explain in more detail how to generate and
use a KUBUNTU FILES report.

Respectfully Yours,
Bas.

J. Michael Morse wrote:
> Top level of ~/home?  I am not 100% sure but I doubt that is where the
> problem is.  The only thing /home contains are the user directories.
> There aren't any /essential files/ in the /home directory.
>
> You already stated that deleting the .kde file didn't work so my bet
> is that the issue isn't KDE related.
>
> On 7/2/08, Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Over several years of distro upgrades and installs, my ~/home directory has
>> become a dumping ground for old and overly modified configuration files and
>> other junk.
>>
>> I suspect that something here is now interfering with kde and kde4 because I
>> have some strange and unsolved kde3 and kde4 problems when using this ~/home
>> directory.  However these problems don't occur if I create a new_user on the
>> system.
>>
>> Short of deleting and rebuilding ~/home can someone make some suggestions
>> for
>> a systematic but reasonably safe way of eliminating the unused junk while
>> not
>> eliminating essential files.  (Please don't recommend deleting .kde...I've
>> tried that and it doesn't help...The problem is almost certainly at the top
>> level of ~/home.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>> --

*************************
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT  Utrecht
E.:  BasRoufs at gmail.com
M.: +31.6.446.835.10.
T.: +31.30.785.20.40.

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org