Video Cards on linux

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye10 at yahoo.es
Wed Jul 2 07:23:58 BST 2008

Juan Kawada wrote:

> Ok, so with linux a lot of people seem to have problems with video cards,
> and their drivers. I'm just wondering, what cards have you used and what
> was the overall experiance with them? Were you using the proprietary
> drivers, or the opensource versions?
>
> Right now I'm using an ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro. Everything works well
> enough with only some minor problems. First, when I boot up my computer
> the screen resolution is never correct, but krandrtray fixes that easily
> enough. Another problem was that the free Alsa driver that was used
> automatically with my install didn't support 3D, and so I had to enable
> the proprietary to get compiz, and to play games. Overall though, I can't
> complain.
>
> I'm just looking to gain some knowlage about different cards here, for
> other people I know who are curious, and for when I decide to upgrade my
> own
> card.  So please no flame wars about propriety vs open drivers (which
> always seems to happen in other discussions on this topic).
Hi Juan,
I've got an ATI Radeon 9550 with 256MB vram and no problems. I use the
proprietary fglrx driver which I download from the ATI site and build using
module-assistant after each kernel upgrade. I use this driver to get 3D
acceleration and it does with no problems.
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!