Alternatives to Kubuntu, was Re: KDE 4.0.0!

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 18 17:26:02 UTC 2008

Billie Walsh wrote:

> On 01/18/2008 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Thank you, I'll start getting used to it. Coming from you and your
>> extensive experience, I have no choice but to follow your advice and
>> get used to reinstalling tens of operating systems twice a year.
>
> Sarcasm ill becomes you.

I don't know - I think he does fine with it :-)

> Perhaps rather than holding the hands of those you "convert" it would
> serve them better to teach them.

It's not necessary to do either.  I don't maintain nearly as many systems as
Dotan, but I download all packages to one system, check out all the
updates, and when I'm happy with them use "apt-move" to build a partial
mirror.  My other systems update from _my_ mirror, not Ubuntu's.

Users can learn how to use the package system, override the sources, and be
on their own, or they can take updates whenever they see the update icon in
the system tray.

No muss, no fuss, on my part.
--
derek