Advice on Partitioning ?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 14 13:41:23 UTC 2008

Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

> My recommendation for starter desktops is that you at least create 4
> partitions for Linux:
> 1.  " / " called "root" Give this at least 15 - 20 GB (if your hard drive
> is large enough)
> 2. "/boot" Give this no more than 100 MB as it will never need all of
> that. This is just for the Kernel and its needed files.
> 3. "/home"  Give this the lion Share of the drive because this is where
> you are going to put just about everything.
> 4.  "swap"  Probably wont need more than 2 GB (I know I've never needed
> it, for desktop setups anyway).

This isn't a bad method, but I disagree with bothering with a partition
for /boot.  It complicates grub configuration (because relative paths to
the boot partition become /grub..., rather than /boot/grub...) and 100MB
will no doubt not always be enough.  When I used to keep a /boot partition,
I think I made the partition 30MB - which was more than enough.  Then
kernels got too big for me to be able to have a "current" and "new" kernel
at the same time...

--
derek