Advice on Partitioning ?

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 10:36:26 UTC 2008

> I'll do some reading at the referred sites in the hope of getting a
> better idea how to do it and more to the point what it all means.
Partitioning is a pretty fundamental thing - it leaves you with a hard
drive 'cut up' into sections. My stress always goes through the roof when I
have to do it because it's not something that happens all the time, only
every few years when I happen to get a new drive.

I think, if you don't mind wiping your data (please backup first), your best
bet is to boot off the Gutsy (or whatever) CD and do what you did before,
only this time use the partitioning wizard that comes up during the install
process. I think it has help too.

Use howard's advice on sizes etc.

These are my settings:
Partition 1 18Gb, mount point / (which is root), Type ext3 (which is a good
choice for the filesystem type)
Partition 2 1Gb, mount none, Type swap (the swap file has it's own type)
Partition 3 XXGb (the rest), mount point /home, Type ext3

Then continue with the install.

*IF* you want to dual-boot with Windows, then you *must* install Windows
first. I can't recall how Win handles partitioning, it should be part of the
deal on installation. You could make all the partitions needed for Kubuntu at
that time (from Windows setup) too. Just make one extra one for the Windows
C: drive.

NOTE:
After 3 "primary" partitions, things get horrible. One has to create "virtual"
partitions within one of the primaries. So, if you are going with Windows
too, then you need 4 partitions, so divide your first partition into two and
make one / (root) and one swap.

You should expect to do this several times before you get a clue :)
You should also expect to then forget it all until next time.
Repeat :)

HTH
\d

--
"Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their
victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/