transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sun Jan 6 17:05:34 UTC 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Eric wrote:
> ssh. Anybody got links to good easy to follow tutorials on any of these?

I don't see anything that isn't way more involved than you need to get the
most basic kind of setup going.

Both machines should have the ssh client applications available, but you won't
have a server running unless you start it yourself.  You need to install
the "openssh-server" package on the destination computer.

So let me run through it here at home.

Step 1:  I turn on my wife's Dapper box and see if she is running sshd

  $ pgrep sshd

She is, but if she weren't, I'd just run

  $ sudo apt-get install openssh-server

and leave all of its defaults in place.

Step 2:  Now that she's running a server, I need her IP address, or an entry
for her computer in my /etc/hosts

  $ cat /etc/hosts

  # blah blah blah (privacy stuff deleted)

  # Wife's computer
  192.168.0.101           swmbo

So now let's try Derek's trick and see what happens.  I have a picture from my
camera in ~/Pictures that I want to copy to her desktop.

Step 3:  So I open ~/Pictures in Konqueror and find the file IMG_1234.JPG

  [imagine picture]

Step 4:  Open a new window, and type fish://wife@swmbo

Lo, I get a password box thingie, enter her top secret magic password
("myHusbandIsAMegaAwesomeLinuxH4x0r" but don't tell anybody her secret!!) and
now I'm in.

  [imagine picture]

So now I can just drag IMG_1234.JPG from me to her, et voilĂ , it shows up on
her box as /home/wife/where/I/put/the/file/IMG_1234.JPG.

It's pretty much that simple if you don't want to set up ssh keys for
passwordless copying, and with this fish:// protocol thing, it might not be
worth the bother.  Especially with the [x] Remember password box.  (Or you
could use scp from the command line like a real man, but I assume most people
in the world today aren't raging dweebs like me, so I won't get into that.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre