Can no longer write a CD or DVD

Mark Fraser kubuntu at mfraz74.orangehome.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 11:59:17 UTC 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008 02:53:02 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 03:21:13 pm Mark Fraser wrote:

> > > The Athlon X2 is it a 32 bit or 64 bit proc?  The reason I ask is that
> > > if you just upgraded the hardware without upgrading to a 64 bit OS that
> > > may be some of the problem.  But, I can't remember if the 3600+ is 64
> > > bit or not.
> >
> > Both are 64 bit processors, but I'm using them in 32bit mode.
>
> Hmm, completely slipped my mind, I had an Athlon 3200 that was 32 bit, and
> forgot that in there somewhere they went to 64.  Anyway, try this:  Start
> out with a speed that's half of what your running now, and see if it
> trudges its way through.  And, yes, it could be that the CD/DVD burner
> doesn't like the faster processor.

It has been playing up recently though - not recognising that I've loaded a
blank disk, but it always burnt OK. Also, the other CD-RW drive is working
OK. Will try lowering the write speed for that drive though.

> Here's something to check running in 32 bit mode, how many procs are active
> on your system?

KInfocenter says there are 2 processors running and it does seem to make
avidemux process videos faster, so that would seem to mean it is working.