Can no longer write a CD or DVD

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 02:53:02 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 03:21:13 pm Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 21:09:57 Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 February 2008 11:34:42 am Mark Fraser wrote:
> > > I recently upgraded my processor from an Athlon 3700 to an Athlon X2
> > > 3600+ and although everything seems to be working, I can no longer
> > > write a CD or DVD with my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A drive which is set as
> > > the master drive.
> > >
> > > Writing a CD/DVD with k3b starts OK, but after a while the write speed
> > > goes down to 0 and stays there, this can happen anywhere during the
> > > write process. The Liteon CD-RW drive that is the slave device works
> > > fine and burns discs without any problems.
> > >
> > > I can't see that changing the processor would cause this, but it can't
> > > just be bad luck that the drive has failed at exactly the same time as
> > > I changed processor can it?
> >
> > The Athlon X2 is it a 32 bit or 64 bit proc?  The reason I ask is that if
> > you just upgraded the hardware without upgrading to a 64 bit OS that may
> > be some of the problem.  But, I can't remember if the 3600+ is 64 bit or
> > not.
>
> Both are 64 bit processors, but I'm using them in 32bit mode.

Hmm, completely slipped my mind, I had an Athlon 3200 that was 32 bit, and
forgot that in there somewhere they went to 64.  Anyway, try this:  Start out
with a speed that's half of what your running now, and see if it trudges its
way through.  And, yes, it could be that the CD/DVD burner doesn't like the
faster processor.

Here's something to check running in 32 bit mode, how many procs are active on
your system?  On my AMD X2 box, I had to run 64 bit native mode to get both
cores to run.  Some apps were running horribly, and if I remember right K3b
was one of them.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.