kde4 package lag?

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Fri Feb 1 23:49:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 01 February 2008, Jared Greenwald wrote:
| Let me preface this by saying that I don't want anyone to take this as
| a complaint, but I'm just curious.

Quit complaining! hehe, just kidding :)

| What is the lag time between code being in the kde4 tree and a package
| getting pushed to the hardy/gutsty-backport repos?

The lag time as you call it would be the time which you see them applied in
upstream SVN, and the release day for KDE 4 packages. Our next release is
4.0.1, which those packages have been tagged (typically a week before their
actual release which gives distributions the chance to have them packaged and
ready for release day). So next week, on KDE 4.0.1 release day, we will go
ahead and release the new packages.

| I only ask because it appears that the code to make the panel
| configurable has been checked-in to the tree.  This was one of my
| biggest qualms about plasma in general, so I'm eager to get my grubby
| little hands on it.  :)

It depends on what you mean by "configurable" in this case for the plasma panel.
4.0.1 will include some updates which will provide more configuration choices,
however it seems as if the change which many are looking for, the ability to
change its size, was just introduced into the code repository, which means we
won't see it more than likely until next month (March), or the 4.0.2 release.

Right now you will see KDE 4 feature changes on a monthly basis as that is what
we (KDE) have decided on for the KDE 4 release schedule at this time.

4.0.1 February
4.0.2 March
4.0.3 April
4.0.4 May