Problems with NTFS external USB drive in Kubuntu (update)

Valter Mura valtermura at
Sun Dec 28 21:43:25 GMT 2008

Il venerdì 19 dicembre 2008 16:03:19 Art Alexion ha scritto:
> OK.  The problem seems to be with Kubuntu KDE 3.5.10, and not 4.1.  The
> drive mounts fine on Kubuntu 8.10.  The problem exists on three Kubuntu KDE
> 3.5.10 machines, while everything works fine on a KDE 4.1 machine and an
> Ubuntu 8.10 Gnome machine and an 8.04 Gnome machine.  It also work in
> WinXP.  The only Kubuntu 8.10 machine I tested it on is 64-bit, if that
> makes a difference.

I can confirm this issue: the same external usb drive that I couldn't open with
Kubuntu 8.04/KDE 3.5.x, now opens perfectly in Kubuntu 8.10/KDE 4.1.3

Model: Packard Bell Store & Save 320 GB / USB connection
> Thinking it was a problem with ntfs-3g or something, I reformatted the
> drive as ext3.  It made absolutely no difference.
> I want to report this as a bug, but have no idea what package to report
> against.  Any ideas?

Well, I think you have to indicate the model of the ext drive and the system
you were using, comparing it with the actual system, perhaps it's a kernel
problem (?)

Registered Linux User #466410
Kubuntu Linux:
"Coltiva Linux, tanto Windows si pianta da solo"