How do I change the default configuration of MPlayer movie player?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 25 08:26:51 UTC 2008

> I think we are talking about different applications.

No, MPlayer has been that special video player to be.  The very reason it is,
is because of the options and choices.  My memory suggests that the first
time I used that feature, I was watching a movie when someone called me on
the telephone.  I didn't want to loose my place in my movie; I didn't want to
put pleasure in front of someone's telephone call.  I right clicked looking
for options and for the menu.  There are more choices on the MPlayer options
list than any other player.  I found myself pausing for interruptions daily.
Some times when watching non verbal geographical interests, I would keep the
video going while attending to the interruption.  Always when watching a
movie, I would set the aspect ratio to 16:9.  The list of controllable events
is too numerous to remember, however, always there when you needed them.

The only feature that Kaffeine had that I preferred was the ability to play a
movie, edit the position of the film by putting the cursor on the bottom of
the screen and having a dashboard to make adjustments.  I could skip
offensive scenes by a single click or return to review something extra
interesting using the same single click.  MPlayer required a couple of clicks
to get the same choice, and a click to get that choice off the screen.  It
was, however, never enough reason to use Kaffeine as a default, even though
it always presumed the position.

When I changed the configuration to have the instant on with an expanded view,
I love the ability to right click the options that made MPlayer special.  If
I could figure out how to get those features, I would return to the former
configuration, because although the new features are terrific, they do not
exceed multiple benefits of the options lost.

> Could it be that you originally meant Kmplayer or Gnome-mplayer instead?

Neither are on my computer.

> When I right-click on a movie playing with mplayer (without any extra
>options) then nothing happens.

If we both have the selfsame configuration I am sure that is correct, however,
if you had my previous configuration, you would have the option panel too.

> With mplayer you could use the space key for pause.

I have never been able to remember the key-stroke shortcuts.  I wish I could
remember to take the time to learn them.  I suspect they are not as easy to
place in memory as they seem to be.  I think that is a right-brain handicap.
It is too intellectual and not enough visual to be an easy concept.  I am
stuck with my artist's mind.  But eventually, if I live long enough I will
remember to learn how to use them.

>If you aren't using the full screen mode (option -fs) you can resize the
movie if you drag the border of the mplayer window with the mouse.

I wish I had known this.  That was the most important reason for using
MPlayer, other than the fact that MPlayer default opening is a window about
an inch and a half tall by three inches wide.

> I found it in the man page. Use the command "man mplayer" in a terminal to
> read it or type "man:mplayer" in the konqueror address bar.

I am just starting to remember to use the man pages from time to time.  It is
not the first thought when I need it.  My natural inclination is to look for
the GUI option.  Sometimes it exists, sometimes not.  I am really enjoying
this aspect of learning; when I start thinking properly when facing a
problem, I will be able to stop bothering you all so much.
> You might as well install the package mplayer-doc and read the
> file /usr/share/doc/mplayer-doc/HTML/en/index.html with konqueror.

You can see my naturally screwy thought process.  I have almost a dozen
MPlayer related packages installed and not mplayer-doc.  I have it now and
will spend a lot of time in their this day.  It will give me something to do
when everyone else is busy.

> And about your other mail: "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u" is what should
> be entered as the command in the configuration for the file association.
> If you use it to start a movie from the command line it would be the
> filename instead of the "%u".

mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u is what I included, however, when I open a
movie, it still goes back to the 12:9 configuration, so this automatic open
feature is lacking the most important reason for my using MPlayer, 16:9
aspect ratio.  In any event it is a small matter, but I would still rather
the extra event clicking than losing the aspect ratio opportunity.  It just
makes a movie better.

You are a great teacher Nils.  I am grateful for the time you spend with me.
I hope others who are like me and would not think to ask the appropriate
questions without the wonderful input you give that stimulates the thoughts.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanakkuh whichever appropriate, on this Holy Day.
This forum is a year round Christmas present to me.

Steven