How do I change the default configuration of MPlayer movie player?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 25 02:54:27 UTC 2008

> My mplayer version doesn't know a "-16:9" option but it does
> know "-monitoraspect 16:9". With that option the command would
> be "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 %u". But it doesn't change anything with
> the movie I have tried. Anyway, did you try if "-fs" gives a usable
> result?

I took your advice, however, now, when it opens, it opens to, I believe, 12:9
aspect ratio.  Additionally, the right-click that used to reveal properties
is no longer enabled.  If you right click nothing happens; if you try to
resize it closes and you start over from the beginning.

Pause, mute, aspect ratio, are among features that I miss.  I think I would
almost prefer going through the steps of choosing the 16:9 aspect ratio than
have it open on a single click.  I like to be able to pause to refresh myself
or mute if someone calls on the telephone.  If I want to stop or quiet a
movie, I have to turn it off and start over.  I do like how it jumps into a
movie though.  That method of configuration is a no nonsense opening of a
movie.  If it just had the 16:9 aspect ratio, I believe I wouldn't mind
losing the other features so much.

By the way, where did you find the 'monitoraspect choice'?  Did you just make
it up and the computer understood?  I would like to know how to do that.

Meli Kalikimaka, in Hawaiian that is Merry Christmas.  My son-in-law is a
native of Maui.  You should hear when my 5 year old grandbaby says that, or
when she says Happy Birthday Jesus, it ties your heart in a knot.

Cheers!

Steven