KDE4 questions, two problems

Alan Dacey GrokIt at ajinfosearch.com
Fri Dec 12 23:45:57 GMT 2008

I am helping somebody brand new to linux so I started him off with
Kubuntu 8.10 (imagine that on this list!).  Everything was going fine,
he really likes Amarok 2.0.  Then I ran into some problems.  I'm waiting
for KDE 4.2 before I upgrade so I'm not too familiar with all the
changes.  He wanted to look at all his hard drives/partitions and also
add some programs.  I went to Dolphin (& Konq) and tried typed in
system:/media/ and it said the protocol 'system' is not supported.  I
was also having a hard time finding anything in Adept.  I searched for
vlc and could not find it in the list that was returned.  I do not
understand how the tags and such work since when I clicked on what I
thought was the right one, I still did not see the vlc player.  (at
least I got to give him a lesson on how to use the command line to
install things so it was not a total loss)  So I have two questions that
I hope somebody can help me with, I googled but did not find any real
answers.

1- What replaces system:/media/ in KDE4?  In KDE3 it's 'Storage Media'
from the icon next to the Kmenu.
2- How do I clearly get the packages I search for to show up in the list
on the right in Adept?  Is there a tutorial on the new tagging system or
something?

Thank you in advance.

Alan

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated concept. If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in life and actually grok it."