Email goes to Outbox

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Dec 12 21:04:19 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> My email address is stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net.  It has remained that
> way, and has continued as my email address, even after at&t became my
> server.  I believe this is the area of confusion in my kmail program.
> I just noticed a peculiarity in the warning I get when mail is sent to
> the Outbox.  Here is the box that comes on the screen:
>
> Sending failed:
> Connection to host smtp.att.yahoo.com is broken.
> The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
> problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
> folder. The following transport protocol was used:
> Sbcglobal.net
>
> In kmail configuration, there is no place where I have indicated
> Sbcglobal.net as anything but my email address, and then with a small
> [s] as shown above, when I typed my email address in this email.

Sbcglobal.net is the name for your account within Kmail. It is not the
server used. Go to the Kmail configuration and have a look at your
account name. It should be Sbcglobal.net and if you click on the "modify"
button you can see which server would be used.

I think your problem has nothing to do with your configuration. Sometimes
I can see the same error if my router isn't online when I click the send
button. Then it takes more time to connect to the server than the timeout
allows. However I don't know which timeout it is exactly or where to set
the timeout to a higher value. Actually it happens only rather seldom, so
I don't really care and just tell kmail to send the outbox contents
again.

Nils