Problems with kwin and kwallet.

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue Dec 9 05:09:09 UTC 2008

On Monday 08 December 2008 8:37:49 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> When kwallet asked for my password, I typed in the password and it did not
> accept the password.  I removed kwallet, re-booted the computer, and Kwin
> would not run.  I typed in kwin, and I got the window back, but it went
> away again.  When I pressed ctrl+f2, the window opened, however, the
> password would not type into the box.
>
> I rebooted to repair, then ran the x ??repair option, then booted.  Kwin
> did not work, however, kontrole opened and the keyboard worked.  I typed in
> sudo apt-get autoremove to remove some unneeded packages, then sudo apt-get
> update.  The computer performed the update procedure, then suggested I do
> it again.  I ran sudo apt-get update again, this time it did not repeat the
> command.  When I continued the boot, my password was accepted and the
> computer opened.  Nonetheless, I did not have Kwin again.  I typed in kwin
> into the terminal and got Kwin back.  While I can still do stuff, I am
> making this post, in case I have difficulty getting to a workable desktop
> and am able to read incoming emails.
>
> This mess happened, I think, because kwallet was not functioning properly.
> I attempted to add the password for Kmail after I got it working and
> kwallet did not accept my sudo password.  I tried all the passwords I have
> thinking perhaps I set that password differently.  None worked.  I then
> removed kwallet, intending to reinstall, hopefully, a functioning package.
> So I think removal of kwallet was what screwed things up.  Anyway, when I
> finish this post, I will attempt to configure kwallet once more.  Thanks
> for any input you may have or instructions.  I may have difficulty again.
> The computer has not booted and worked properly since this set of problems
> began.

Congrats Steven!  You described most of my kwallet experiences perfectly!!
And you now know first hand why it is NOT on my computer.  It does NOT let
you work with your computer like you want to but how someone else THINKS you
should have to and it should not matter you really got a computer to save YOU
time and effort rather than creating a dungeon game of some kind with your
desktop.  It makes Kmail fully useless for retrieving mail unattended which
really means there is no reason at all to have a home or office computer but
only the one currently in your possession with which you can sometimes find a
wifi point.  Defeats the entire reason to own a computer, I may as well buy a
windoze unit and forget personal preferences.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org