I have read some on Proxy Servers, but I am still confused.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 3 08:31:47 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Nils Kassube wrote:

>>> If you mean a proxy server on the net to disguise your IP, try
>>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=free+proxy+server&num=100>. If you mean a
>>> program to run on your machine, there are many. Depending on your needs
>>> you may consider squid, wwwoffle, anon-proxy, privoxy, just to mention a
>>> few.

>>> Sure, why not? And what do you mean with "safely"?
>>>

>> When I read that now, it doesn't make any sense.  I can't remember what
>> was going through my mind.  I think I meant without losing important
>> stuff; if it is like a filter, you lose things sometimes you'd rather
>> not lose.

>>> A firewall can do many more things than a proxy server. See
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall>
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server>
>>>

>> Is a firewall just a complex password protected incoming signal.  I am
>> sure my imagination sees it wrong.  I have never heard it explained, I
>> have just heard the word firewall.

>>> That depends on what type of proxy you are speaking of. If it is a proxy
>>> somewhere on the net you usually only have to set the IP address and port
>>> in your browser. If it is a program on your machine it depends on the
>>> program.
>>>

>> If the ones that cost are better, I need one that is cheap.  If the free
>> ones work OK, do they increase the security provided by a firewall.
>> Does a good firewall work as well without a proxy server?

>>> Yes.

>>> network. Therefore I think you don't need to worry about "incoming
>>> internet signal" if your router can work as a firewall which blocks
>>> incoming connections. Check the router setup page if that is possible.
>>> Then again, there are things like phishing emails which can't be reliably
>>> blocked by a firewall or proxy. There you'd better rely on your brain.
>>>

>> I followed their instruction pretty well, because it worked.  I have no
>> idea what I did.  I just followed instructions.  I really would like to
>> understand this aspect of computing.  My new computer will start fresh
>> without all the mistakes and insecurities as this one.  And, I would
>> like to be reasonably secure from now on.
>>
>> Thanks! Nils
>>
>>> Nils
>>>

> Hi Steven,
>
> basically your router acts as a device that translates between your
> private network (ex. 192.168.1.x) and the Internet.
>
> This offers you a good deal of privacy since your private network cannot
> be seen and cannot be exploited from the internet.
>
> Moreover the firewall that is integrated into your router should ensure
> that no incoming traffic is handled which you did not previously
> initiate from the inside. This most often is setup by default.
>
> Generally a firewall handles traffic by looking at each IP packet,
> applying a rule set to it and act accordingly. A proxy in contrast is an
> [...]
Dear Eberhard,

Do you think a 400 W power supply would be powerful enough to boot a
quad core to BIOS, if I didn't have any additional video card energy
draw.  I would like to see if possibly my problem with the new computer
is a power supply failure.  ASUS is pretty sure that the problem falls
with them or the power supply.  They are willing to return for credit,
refund or replacement, but I would hate to return it and find it OK and
the power supply the problem.  I just don't have access to an 800W or
larger PS.  Do I need the DVD and HDD installed to boot to BIOS?  Mine
are SATA, and the 400W PS doesn't have SATA connections.  It probably
doesn't have the processor power supply plug either.  Thanks for the
info on the router.  I think that will be my protection.  I remember I
had a concern about when I am sharing data with the torrent system, do I
open vulnerability and/or am I able to send out data when I have the
firewall?

Steven