KDE with Kubuntu vs KDE under Ubuntu LTS. (Derek Broughton)

Christophe Guilbert cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu
Mon Dec 1 18:21:33 UTC 2008

Hi Derek ,

Now you have me confuse ! ;-)

Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that

KDE under Ubuntu 8.04 LTS : everything (including gnome desktop)  but
KDE would be LTS (3year support)
with Kubuntu (any version) being none LTS, everything including KDE will
be supported for 18month.

I am using KDE, but I need to stick to version 8.04 for various reasons
(vmware  , cluster tools , kde 3.5 , ....).

So I have the choice between Ubuntu 8.04 (using KDE) and Kubuntu 8.04. I
love LTS, I've been staying 4 years with the great Kubuntu 6.06 but now
its time to move on to the next LTS because they are too many things to
update.

It looks to me that I'll be better off installing KDE under Ubuntu 8.04
than installing Kubuntu 8.04.

Is there's any flow to that thought ?

Thanks

Chris

> Hi guys,
> >
> > Since Kubuntu skip the next LTS release.  I  installed KDE under
> > Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
> >
> > What would be the downside of this ?

None - but you've got exactly what you would have had if you'd installed
Gnome over Kubuntu.  The non-desktop parts were always LTS, and the KDE
part isn't.
-- derek

In a world without walls and fences,
who needs Windows and Gates?