saving package list

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 16:01:35 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/26 Willy K. Hamra <w.hamra1987 at gmail.com>:
>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>> --------------070603060306070708070606
>>
>> i found a lot of websites explaining how to save the list of installed
>> packages, to be used after a fresh install for example. there is a lot
>> of packages that i don't want to install, i can simply delete their
>> names from the list, but their dependencies will still get installed,
>> and as far as i understand, apt will consider them manually installed
>> packages, so i don't think "apt-get autoremove" will remove them, or am
>> i wrong? in which case, it's all i need to know :P
>> otherwise, is there a way to save a list of packages i manually
>> specified to apt? i usually ask for a package and apt automatically
>> install dependencies, is there a way to get a list of these packages i
>> typed?
>> thanks in advance
>>

> Willy, what I do is this:
>
> I have a text file that is divided into two sections, with a line of
> dashes between them. The first half of the document is all the
> packages that I have installed and know that I will want when I
> upgrade. The second half is experimental stuff that I have not made up
> my mind about yet.
>
> So, for instance, when I wanted to try out Maxima, I added it to the
> second part of the file, so the file looks like this:
>
> """
> sudo apt-get install kde kdm knowit sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
> sun-java6-fonts kde-i18n-he language-pack-he language-pack-he-base
> language-pack-kde-he language-pack-kde-he-base culmus
> xfonts-efont-unicode xfonts-efont-unicode-ib xfonts-intl-european
> msttcorefonts rar automake1.9 build-essential intltool libtool cvs
> xserver-xgl kpowersave knetworkmanager amarok libxine1-ffmpeg gift
> firefox mozilla-firefox-locale-he-il mplayer vlc xserver-xgl
> compiz-kde compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
> compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-plugins desktop-effects-kde
> openssh-server festival libmad0 hunspell myspell-he myspell-en-gb
> myspell-en-us hspell hspell-gui libdvdcss2 w32codecs festival
> livemedia-utils ktorrent koffice krename k9copy unrar-free k3b
> camorama linux-headers-generic gtk-qt-engine mozilla-mplayer
> kcoloredit powertop unrar audacity whois fusion-icon kchmviewer python
> --------------------------------
> maxima
> """
>
> When I decide that Maxima is for me, I move it over to the first half
> of the file. Now when I reinstall, I just run that one big apt-get
> install command and go make a sandwich.

thanks to everyone for their ideas.
andrew, unfortunatly, my bash history doesn't last that long, and i
never touched it's history settings, so can't tell how many commands it
stores by default, but i use konsole rather a lot, so i constantly find
some old commands i entered are forgotten ( i use ctrl-r most of the time)

dotan, i think i'll start using aptitude with intrepid, as it keeps
track of manually installed packages, but your idea is a much more
organized way to keep track of things, i'm sure i won't remember to put
every package i install in the file, but still, better than having
nothing, and eventually, i'll get used to it :-)

i cleaned my system from almost all the packages i don't want, digging
through the installed packages for more unnecessary ones, which i guess
is a good enough punishment for my lack of organization, random apt-get
sprees, and installing loads of packages at once without bothering to
read through them, just because some website suggested so :-P

thanks all

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems