saving package list

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:12:39 UTC 2008

2008/8/26 Willy K. Hamra <w.hamra1987 at gmail.com>:
> --------------070603060306070708070606
>
> i found a lot of websites explaining how to save the list of installed
> packages, to be used after a fresh install for example. there is a lot
> of packages that i don't want to install, i can simply delete their
> names from the list, but their dependencies will still get installed,
> and as far as i understand, apt will consider them manually installed
> packages, so i don't think "apt-get autoremove" will remove them, or am
> i wrong? in which case, it's all i need to know :P
> otherwise, is there a way to save a list of packages i manually
> specified to apt? i usually ask for a package and apt automatically
> install dependencies, is there a way to get a list of these packages i
> typed?
> thanks in advance

Willy, what I do is this:

I have a text file that is divided into two sections, with a line of
dashes between them. The first half of the document is all the
packages that I have installed and know that I will want when I
upgrade. The second half is experimental stuff that I have not made up
my mind about yet.

So, for instance, when I wanted to try out Maxima, I added it to the
second part of the file, so the file looks like this:

"""
sudo apt-get install kde kdm knowit sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
sun-java6-fonts kde-i18n-he language-pack-he language-pack-he-base
language-pack-kde-he language-pack-kde-he-base culmus
xfonts-efont-unicode xfonts-efont-unicode-ib xfonts-intl-european
msttcorefonts rar automake1.9 build-essential intltool libtool cvs
xserver-xgl kpowersave knetworkmanager amarok libxine1-ffmpeg gift
firefox mozilla-firefox-locale-he-il mplayer vlc xserver-xgl
compiz-kde compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-plugins desktop-effects-kde
openssh-server festival libmad0 hunspell myspell-he myspell-en-gb
myspell-en-us hspell hspell-gui libdvdcss2 w32codecs festival
livemedia-utils ktorrent koffice krename k9copy unrar-free k3b
camorama linux-headers-generic gtk-qt-engine mozilla-mplayer
kcoloredit powertop unrar audacity whois fusion-icon kchmviewer python
--------------------------------
maxima
"""

When I decide that Maxima is for me, I move it over to the first half
of the file. Now when I reinstall, I just run that one big apt-get
install command and go make a sandwich.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com