re dual boot Kubuntu 8.0.4/Ubuntu 8.0.4

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Aug 10 13:18:32 UTC 2008

Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2008/8/10 Alan <GrokIt at ajinfosearch.com>:
>> On Saturday 09 August 2008 6:01:21 pm Ray Burke wrote:
>>> Sirs,
>>>
>>> I am trying to dual boot my current system which is-
>>> 1/ Hddo drive c 80gb xp pro sp3
>>> 2/ hdd1 drive d 40gb me
>>> so I want instructions on how to make my drive d hdd1 40gb Mesystem as
>>> replaced with dual boot Kubuntu 8.0.4/Ubuntu 8.0.4 , thus keepingmy xp
>>> pro sp3 on Hdd0 drive c, so I can have a dual boot Hdd0 xp pro sp3on
>>> drive c 80gb and Ubuntu drive d Hdd1 40gb, can you help,as not sure
>>> where I load up the iso disc I made of the Kubuntu/Ubuntu onto
>>> whatcurrent systems on either xp pro or Me, and does it pickup that I
>>> have twoseperate drives???????????? ray
>>
>> Very easy to do.
>> 1- Hardware Setup
>> BACKUP ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP.  Write down exactly how everything is
>> connected, masking tape is
>> useful.  Open up your computer and make your ME drive the primary and the
>> XP drive the slave.  I am
>> assuming these are IDE drives.  If so don't forget to change the jumper
>> pin between the power
>> supply and the ribbon.  Reboot your machine to make sure that is back
>> together correctly and the 40 gig drive is primary.
>> If you don't want to do that and have SATA drives, change the boot order
>> in the BIOS to CD, HDD1, HDD0 so that the disk you want to install *buntu
>> on is first.
>
> If you do this im sure windows will not boot as will not fint the NT
> loader and you must change the entries in boot.ini and after that your
> C: partition will now be D: or something else and that will mess up
> all referense in the register and shortcuts. Thats is just asking for
> trouble. Let the drives be as they are and install Ubuntu on your D:
> drive that is not a problem for the Ubuntu or the install program.

Not at all a problem.  If you want Windows on a second drive or any
partition at all, you can just use the grub "map" command to move it
around.  However, I think it's a safe bet that if your primary drive
doesn't have windows, and you boot from a secondary drive, the boot drive
is _still_ always going to be C: as far as Windows cares.
--
derek