slightly OT: Internet weirdities

Jeff kubuntu.user at bulkmail.letterboxes.org
Fri Aug 8 13:40:41 UTC 2008

 On 8 Aug 2008 at 15:06, Dotan Cohen wrote about:
 Re: slightly OT: Internet weirditie

> 2008/8/8 Jeff <kubuntu.user at bulkmail.letterboxes.org>:
> >  On 8 Aug 2008 at 1:38, Willy K. Hamra wrote about:
> >  slightly OT: Internet weirdities
> >
> >> I was "apt-get"ing a few programs, and was with a lot of pain watching
> >> the speed counting in bytes per second, something around 200
> >> bytes/second! i thought it might be a bad night for downloading, ISP
> >> overloaded or something, i tried pinging google, but the ping went very
> >> well, with fast responses, so i thought i might try pinging
> >> archive.ubuntu.com, maybe the servers are overloaded, and to my
> >> astonishment as soon as the pinging started the download went straight
> >> to 12 KiB/sec  which is quite well for my 128 kbps, but got me wondering
> >> why such stuff happens? is it ISP related or something to do my PC?
> >
> > You are posting from a Tiscali UK address. Does one need to say more?
> > They are infamous for loading their networks up beyond capacity. Is
> > it any wonder that they cannot get anyone to buy them?
> >

> Willy posted from a gmail address, so your trace of the IP addresses
> in his header would only lead you back to google's servers.

Please check your assertions first.

The relevant section from the headers is:
	by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id j2sm1257912mue.8.2008.08.07.15.38.42
	(version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5); Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:38:45 -0700
(PDT)

Obviously 192.168.0.53 is the internal address of the PC composing
the message. 212.254.233.9 is the external address from which the
message was sent to mx.google.com using

The headers would have been different if the message had been posted
using Gigglemail's web interface in the way that you did. In that
event you correctly describe how they only list the IP Address of the
https server presenting the web page to the user.

> Furthermore, I suspect that you traced in the wrong direction,
> mistaking the destination for the origin, which is why you see you own
> ISP's address at the end.

I know my IP address, its reverse DNS, and the IP address of my
mailserver, and they are not the ones that I traced! I do not see my
own ISPs address anywhere on that email.

> As for Willy's concern, I also see erratic download speeds from *buntu
> mirrors. I have never made the association with pinging, and figured
> that it was a fault of my ISP. It has never been so bad that's I've
> had to complain.

If he is using Tiscali, or a reseller thereof, then one only has to
look at http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=tiscali to get a whole lot
of (bad) news about the company.

Jeff