slightly OT: Internet weirdities

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 13:20:25 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/8 Jeff <kubuntu.user at bulkmail.letterboxes.org>:
>>  On 8 Aug 2008 at 1:38, Willy K. Hamra wrote about:
>>  slightly OT: Internet weirdities
>>
>>> I was "apt-get"ing a few programs, and was with a lot of pain watching
>>> the speed counting in bytes per second, something around 200
>>> bytes/second! i thought it might be a bad night for downloading, ISP
>>> overloaded or something, i tried pinging google, but the ping went very
>>> well, with fast responses, so i thought i might try pinging
>>> archive.ubuntu.com, maybe the servers are overloaded, and to my
>>> astonishment as soon as the pinging started the download went straight
>>> to 12 KiB/sec  which is quite well for my 128 kbps, but got me wondering
>>> why such stuff happens? is it ISP related or something to do my PC?
>> You are posting from a Tiscali UK address. Does one need to say more?
>> They are infamous for loading their networks up beyond capacity. Is
>> it any wonder that they cannot get anyone to buy them?
>>

> Willy posted from a gmail address, so your trace of the IP addresses
> in his header would only lead you back to google's servers.
> Furthermore, I suspect that you traced in the wrong direction,
> mistaking the destination for the origin, which is why you see you own
> ISP's address at the end.
>
> As for Willy's concern, I also see erratic download speeds from *buntu
> mirrors. I have never made the association with pinging, and figured
> that it was a fault of my ISP. It has never been so bad that's I've
> had to complain.

yes, i am using a gmail address, and way too far from the UK.
the *buntu mirrors have been going weird for a while, slow at times,
won't resolve to IP at others, not to mention that every couple of
hours, firestarter reports a blocked connection from an IP address that
turns out to be lithium.canonical.com, no idea why though.
whatever the problem is, i'm sure my ISP isn't that innocent at all, but
some of the problems are *buntu's!

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems